How to install new themes onto the BlackBerry Bold 9700
This illustrated guide shows how to use BlackBerry Desktop Manager to load new themes onto your BlackBerry Bold 9700
There are generally two ways to install a theme onto your BlackBerry:
- Over-the-air (OTA): when you install a theme OTA you generally have to give your email address to receive an email with a download link for the theme. Open the email on your BlackBerry, click on the link and follow the onscreen instructions to install the theme.
- Sideloading the theme from your PC or Mac. This process involves downloading the theme to your PC then using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software to transfer the theme to your BlackBerry and install it. Detailed instructions follow below...
How to install themes from your PC onto your BlackBerry Bold 9700
1. First of all you need to install the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager onto your PC or Mac. Follow this link to find the Mac Version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Follow this link for the Windows version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
2. Connect your PC or Mac to the BlackBerry Bold 9700 with the supplied USB cable. Launch the BlackBerry Desktop Manager on your computer. In the main menus screen click on Application Loader
3. In the Application Loader screen find the Add / Remove Applications section and click on Start
4. Now click on the Browse button and select the BlackBerry theme file you want to install. BlackBerry theme files usually have the suffix '.alx'
5. You will now return to the Application Loader screen and the theme file you selected should be listed. Click on Next
6. The theme will be transferred and installed onto your BlackBerry Bold 9700. The Summary screen will tell you which files have been updated and uploaded.
7. The theme will be transferred and installed onto your BlackBerry Bold 9700. The Summary screen will tell you which files have been updated and uploaded. Click on the Finish button.
The Desktop Manager software will confirm that the update was successful. You can now switch to the new theme by clicking on Options then Themes and then selecting the new theme in the themes list. Click the link for more detailed instructions about switching between themes.